P J Yeates
Private Residential & Commercial Landlord

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much is the deposit?
A: We do not require a deposit on any of our properties.
Q: Are there any extra costs I should know about?
A: There are no hidden costs. We require a holding deposit equivalent to a maximum of one weeks rent so that we can reserve the property for you. This is deducted from your first months rent at the start of your tenancy.
Q: Is the holding deposit refunded if I change my mind?
A: The holding deposit is not refunded if you do not proceed with the tenancy. If we reject your application we are required by law to refund your deposit unless you have given false or misleading information or documents.
Q: What documents and ID do I need to provide in order to rent from you?
A: We require your last three months wage slips or bank statements along with your UK or EEA passport. If you do not have a UK or EEA passport you must provide alternative documents that comply with the Right to Rent Law. A list of acceptable documents can be found here. Please note that every occupier over the age of 18 must provide this ID whether or not they are party to the tenancy agreement.
Q: Why do you require three months bank statements?
A: This is to see that your finances are managed well. We are not interested in seeing a substantial balance, but rather to ensure that your direct debits and standing orders are paid and that the account remains within your agreed overdraft limit.
Q: Do you accept housing benefit?
A: In most cases, yes, we do.
Q: How can I pay my rent?
A: We will ask you to set up a standing order for 1st of every month (for residential contracts). Alternative arrangements can be made in exceptional circumstances.
Q: Is the property supplied with any furniture?
A: No, your property will have no moveable furniture, although a fitted bathroom and kitchen (with hob and oven) is standard.
Q: Do your properties meet health and safety standards?
A: Yes, all our properties undergo inspections to ensure they meet with health, safety and fire regulations. Gas Safe tests are carried out annually (where applicable) and fire alarm and emergency lighting tests are conducted every six months.
Q: Is my electricity/gas billed directly to me, or will I need to pre-pay?
A: This varies from property to property. Please ask at the time of your application. Further details on utilities can be found here.
Q: Do you provide a copy of the Government's How to Rent Document?
A: If you are an existing tenant renewing your tenancy you will receive a hard copy. New tenants will have received a copy via email upon submitting their application. If you have lost the document you can download a copy here.
Q: Who do I contact if I have an issue with my accommodation?
A: Tenants in Portsmouth & Southsea should contact Anthony Yeates on 07860 196550 and tenants in Havant and District should contact Joe Johns on 075 10000 545 during office hours (Please leave a text message after 5pm). In the event of emergency, the emergency services should be your first point of contact.